Arabic Expression Examples: Food | Beverages | Eat | Drink

Tabel of Content [View]

We eat some food every day. Therefore, we have to know the vocabularies which are related to food or drink, such as types of food, place we eat, etc. 


arabic expression examples - food/eat - beverages/drink




I recommend you to go over the previous lessons that are related to food :


1. Arabic expressions that correspond to eat, food, drink

2. Conversation examples in a restaurant 

3. Arabic short story : breakfast

 

Back to today's lesson. We are going to learn Arabic expression related to food. We will focus on daily expression to complement the previous lesson.

By finishing this lesson, you will be familiar with daily expression which is expressed in a restaurant.


Arabic Expression Examples



- I'm hungry: أَنَا جَوعَانُ


word explanation

جَوعَانُ = hungry, we use جَوعَانُ,  for masculine and singular noun.



example:

أَحْمَدُ جَوعَانُ = Ahmad is hungry



جَوعَى = hungry, we use  جَوعَى for feminine and singular noun.



example:

مَرْيَمُ جَوعَى = Maryam is hungry



جِيَاعٌ = hungry, we use the word جِيَاعٌ for plural noun both masculine and feminine.



examples:



نَحْنُ جِيَاعٌ = we are hungry

هُمْ جِيَاعٌ = they are hungry

هُنَّ جِيَاعٌ = they are hungry



- هَيَّا بِنَا = come on!; let's go


هَيَّا is fi'l amr, the meaning is to ask someone to do something quickly (ask to go).



examples:



هَيَّا بِنَا إِلَى المَطْعَمِ = let's go to the restaurant

هَيَّا بِنَا نَأْكُلُ = let's eat



- كَذَلِكَ = equally; likewise; too; also


We use the word "كَذَلِكَ" to express "the similar thing" or something equal.



Example in short conversation:

a: أَنَا جَوعَانُ
b: وَأَنَا كَذَلِكَ, هَيَّا بِنَا إِلَى المَطْعَمِ

English translation

a: I'm hungry
b: me too, let's go to the restaurant.


Another short conversation example:

a: أَنَا أُحِبُّ مَعْكَرُونَةً
b: أَنَا كَذَلِكَ

a: I love macaroni (pasta)
b: me too



- مَاذَا تَأْكُلُ؟ = what are you eating? or what do you eat?


تَأْكُلُ is fi'l mudari', the fa'il (فَاعِل) or doer is damir mustatir that is assigned to أَنْتَ (you: masculine, singular)


Examples for another fa'il



مَاذَا نَأْكُلُ؟  = what do we eat?

مَاذَا يَأْكُلُ؟ = what does he eat?

مَاذَا تَأْكُلُ؟ = what does she eat?



- آكُلُ خُبْزًا  = I eat bread


sentence explanation:

آكُلُ = fi'l mudari', and the fa'il or doer is damir mustatir that is assigned to أَنَا (I)

خُبْزًا  = maf'ul bih (object), mansub, the indication of the nashab is fat-hah "a"




Examples of another fa'il


We eat bread =  نَحْنُ نَأْكُلُ خُبْزًا

He eats bread = هُوَ يَأْكُلُ خُبْزًا




Examples of another maf'ul bih


She eats egg =  هِيَ تَأْكُلُ بَيْضًا

They eat egg =  هُمْ يَأْكُلُونَ بَيْضًا




- أَنَا أُرِيْدُ لَحْمًا = I want meat


explanation:



أُرِيْدُ = fi'l mudari', the fa'il is damir mustatir which is assigned to أَنَا

لَحْمًا = maf'ul bih, mansub, the indication of the nasab is fat-hah "a"



sentence examples with another maf'ul bih (object)



أَنَا أُرِيْدُ شُرْبَةً = I want soup

أَنَا أُرِيْدُ خُضْرَوَاتٍ = I want vegetables



-  أَنَا عَطْشَانُ سَأَشْرَبُ عَصِيرًا = I'm thirsty, I'll drink juice


words explanation



عَطْشَانُ is used for masculine and singular noun, whereas for feminine and singular noun, we use عَطْشَى

example : هِيَ عَطْشَى (she is thirsty)




The plural form (for both feminine and masculine) is عِطَاشٌ

example : نَحْنُ عِطَاشٌ  (we are thirsty)



أَشْرَبُ = I drink

سَ + أَشْرَبُ = I will drink


عَصِيْرٌ = juice



- أَنَا أَشْرَبُ شَايًا = I drink tea


Example with another maf'ul bih



أَنَا أَشْرَبُ قَهْوَةً  = I drink coffee

أَنَا أَشْرَبُ عَصِيرَ اللَّيْمُونِ = I drink lemon juice

 

 

That's all for the examples. Do you want to know more examples?

For comprehensive understanding, I recommend you continue reading the following examples.



Additional Arabic Expression Examples



- Asking which one do you like in Arabic


Example:

أَدَجَّاجًا تُفَضِّلُ أَمْ سَمَكًا؟ = which one do you prefer, chicken or fish?


Exercises

1. Which one do you prefer, orange or apple?


2. Which one do you prefer, juice or milk?


3. Which one do you prefer, tea or coffee?



Answers


1. أَبُرْتُقَالًا تُفَضِّلُ أَمْ تُفَّاحًا؟


2. أَعَصِيرًا تُفَضِّلُ أَمْ حَلِيبًا؟


3. أَشَايًا تُفَضِّلُ أَمْ قَهْوَةً؟




- I eat ...  = ...  أَتَنَاوَلُ


Examples:



I eat a slice of bread =  أَتَنَاوَلُ قِطْعَةً مِنَ الخُبْزِ

I eat three meals a day = أَتَنَاوَلُ فِي اليَوْمِ ثَلاَثَ وَجَبَاتٍ

I eat fruit = أَتَنَاوَلُ فَاكِهَةً

I eat bread for breakfast =  أَتَنَاوَلُ فِي الفَطُورِ خُبْزًا

I eat bread for lunch = أَتَنَاوَلُ فِي الغَدَاءِ خُبْزًا

I eat bread for dinner = أَتَنَاوَلُ فِي العَشَاءِ خُبْزًا



Examples of question which are related to eat/drink/food/beverages



- How many times do you eat in a day?
or How many meals in a day?

كَمْ وَجْبَةً فِي اليَوْمِ؟


- When do you have breakfast?
مَتَى تُفْطِرُ؟

- When do you have lunch?
مَتَى تَتَغَدَّى؟


- When do you have dinner?
مَتَى تَتَعَشَّى؟


- What do you eat for breakfast?
مَاذَا تَأْكُلُ فِي الفَطُورِ؟


- Is this food delicious?
هَلْ هَذَا الطَّعَامِ لَذِيْذٌ؟