How to Say "I Heard That" in Arabic: Mastering the Everyday Expression بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ
How to Say "I Heard That" in Arabic: The Easy 'Balaghani Anna' Formula
Welcome back, learners! If you have ever wanted to share some news you just found out—or maybe even share a little harmless gossip—today's lesson is exactly what you need.
By the end of this short and easy lesson, you will completely understand the everyday Arabic expression بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ (balaghani anna). You will learn exactly what it means, see how it works in real-life sentences, and most importantly, you will be able to build your own simple Arabic sentences using this phrase.
What You’ll Learn Today
- The meaning of بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ and when to use it
- A simple, reusable sentence pattern
- Several real-life examples with pronunciation and translation
- How to make your own sentences right away
Grab your notebook, and let's dive right in!
What Does بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ Mean?
In daily Arabic conversations, when we want to pass on information we received from someone else, we use the phrase:
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ (Pronounced: balaghanī anna)
In English, this beautiful phrase translates to:
- "I have heard that..."
- "I was informed that..."
- "It has been brought to my attention that..."
It is a very natural and polite way to state that news has reached you.
The Sentence Pattern: How to Build Your Own Sentence
As a beginner (A1/A2 level), building sentences in Arabic can feel a bit like a puzzle. But don't worry, the pattern for بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ is incredibly simple! We are going to use a simple "Pattern Matching" method.
Here is the formula:
[بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ] + [Who/What you heard about] + [The News/Status]
Let's break down the [Who/What] part, because it can come in two simple forms:
1. Using a Noun (A Name or an Object) If you are talking about a specific thing, you just place the word directly after أَنَّ (anna).
- Pattern: بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ (I heard that) + الِامْتِحَانَ (the exam) + سَهْلٌ (is easy).
2. Using Attached Pronouns (You, He, She, They) If you want to say "I heard that you..." or "I heard that he...", you simply attach a small pronoun to the end of أَنَّ (anna).
- أَنَّ + كَ (ka / you) = أَنَّكَ (annaka - that you)
- أَنَّ + هُ (hu / he) = أَنَّهُ (annahu - that he)
- أَنَّ + هَا (ha / she) = أَنَّهَا (annaha - that she)
- أَنَّ + هُمْ (hum / they) = أَنَّهُمْ (annahum - that they)
The Pattern: How to Build Your Own Sentences
Now comes the fundamental part — the pattern. Once you see the structure, you'll be able to swap in your own words and create brand-new sentences. This is scaffolding in action: I show you the examples first, then reveal the blueprint underneath.
Here is the simple pattern:
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ + [Subject] + [Information]
Let's break it down step by step:
Step 1: Start with the phrase
Always begin with بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ (balaghanī anna) — "I heard that..."
Step 2: Add the subject (who or what you heard about)
After أَنَّ (anna), you need to tell us who or what the information is about. This is your subject.
| Subject Type | Arabic Example | English |
|---|---|---|
| You (male) | أَنَّكَ (annaka) | that you... |
| You (female) | أَنَّكِ (annaki) | that you... |
| He / It | أَنَّهُ (annahu) | that he / that it... |
| She / It | أَنَّهَا (annahā) | that she / that it... |
| They | أَنَّهُمْ (annahum) | that they... |
| The [noun] | أَنَّ الـ... (anna al-...) | that the [noun]... |
💡 Quick tip: When the subject is a specific noun (like "the exam" or "the restaurant"), just put أَنَّ followed by the noun with الـ (al-, meaning "the").
Step 3: Add the information (what you heard)
Finally, say what you heard about that subject. This is usually an adjective, a verb phrase, or a simple statement.
See? It’s just connecting building blocks! Now, let's look at some real examples so you can see this pattern in action.
Sentence Examples Using " بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ "
Let’s read through these examples together. I have grouped them so you can easily spot the patterns we just talked about. Read the Arabic aloud to practice your pronunciation!
Group 1: Using Attached Pronouns (You, He, She, They)
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّكَ مَرِيضٌ (Balaghani annaka mareed) I heard you’re sick. (Notice the pattern: annaka = that you | mareed = sick)
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّكَ مَشْغُولٌ جِدًّا (Balaghani annaka mashghool jiddan) I heard you're really busy.
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّهُ اشْتَرَى سَيَّارَةً جَدِيدَةً (Balaghani annahu ishtara sayyaratan jadeedah) I heard he bought a new car.
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّهَا نَجَحَتْ فِي الِامْتِحَانِ (Balaghani annaha najahat fil-imtihaan) I heard she passed the exam.
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّهُمْ مُسَافِرُونَ غَدًا (Balaghani annahum musafiroona ghadan) I heard they are traveling tomorrow.
Group 2: Using Specific Nouns
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ الِامْتِحَانَ سَهْلٌ (Balaghani annal-imtihaana sahl) I heard the exam is easy.
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ الْمَطْعَمَ مُغْلَقٌ الْيَوْمَ (Balaghani annal-mat'ama mughlaq al-yawm) I heard the restaurant is closed today.
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ الطَّقْسَ جَمِيلٌ هُنَاكَ (Balaghani annat-taqsa jameelun hunak) I heard the weather is nice over there.
بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ مُبَارَاةَ اللَّيْلَةِ أُلْغِيَتْ (Balaghani anna mubaraatal-laylati ulghiyat) I heard that tonight's match has been cancelled.
Teacher's Tip: Did you notice how simple that is? You just state "Balaghani anna..." and then deliver the news! You are already doing great.
Now It's Your Turn! (Homework Time 📝)
You’ve learned the meaning, you’ve seen the pattern, and you’ve read the examples. To truly master a language, you have to use it!
Here is your task for today: Scroll down to the comments section below and write ONE simple sentence in Arabic using بَلَغَنِي أَنَّ.
You can use the vocabulary we learned today or use a dictionary to find a new word. For example, try to say:
- I heard that the book is good.
- I heard that you are happy.
Don't be shy—I will be reading all your comments and helping you out if you make a mistake. We are all here to learn step-by-step. Let's see those amazing Arabic sentences!
Until next time, happy learning!
No comments:
Post a Comment